For best results, it is recommended to use a digital signal format between image source and UTM, and between UTM and projector. However, in some cases this may not be practical, or not possible.
In the case where analog cabling is used both from image source to UTM, and from UTM to projector, this requires special attention. The procedure below applies to this situation.
The UTM converts the analog signal to digital in its input stage. The output is converted back to analog and transmitted over the signal cable. The projector then converts the signal to digital again at its input stage. This requires very careful calibration both of the projectors and the UTM.
- Switch off geometry and edge blend adjustments in CompactControl (2 buttons on toolbar)
- Select the test pattern in CompactControl called “Pinstripe” (button on toolbar). The test pattern is applied in the UTM. This test pattern contains narrow vertical black and white stripes.
- Set projector to “1:1” image scaling mode, make sure no keystone has been set on the projector (IR remote)
- Observe the projector image, adjust “Frequency” parameter on projector until the vertical “bands” in the image disappear, and only the pinstripe pattern is seen (value 1688 is the correct value for the current setup for all channels). If the value is wrong, you will see wide or narrow vertical bands in the image, more and narrower bands the further you adjust away from the correct value. When changing the frequency parameter, if the bands get wider, this indicates that you are changing the frequency in the right direction.
- Adjust the “phase” parameter until a position is found that shows the pinstripes most clearly (sharp contrast) without any visible image noise (or as little noise as possible).
- Select the “Edge Finder” test pattern in CompactControl. (button on toolbar). The test pattern is applied in the UTM. It consists of a grid with a yellow dashed line on the edge, including an arrow at the middle of each side of the image. The arrows help find the outer edge of the image.
- Adjust horizontal and vertical position in the projector until the 4 arrows can be fully seen, at this point the dashed line around the edge of the test pattern should also be visible on all 4 sides of the image.
- At this point the correct setup has been made for the projector input.
- Switch off the test pattern. If possible, the same pattern should be displayed pixel-by-pixel in the IG, this allows the same tuning to be done for the UTM input.
- If possible, display a pinstripe test pattern through the image generator.
- Repeat step 4, but instead of changing the frequency parameter on the projector, change the frequency parameter in CompactControl (under CompactUTM processor 1->Input 1, you will find the frequency parameter). If the pinstripe test pattern is not available through the IG, look at the image generator timing parameters: The frequency parameter should be set to the “total horizontal pixels” value.
- Repeat step 5, but instead of changing the phase parameter on the projector, change the phase parameter in CompactControl (under CompactUTM processor 1->Input 1, you will find the phase parameter). . If the pinstripe test pattern is not available through the IG, you will need to tune the phase until you see the sharpest possible image on the projector.
- Set the image generator to display a pattern similar to the “Edge Finder” test pattern in the UTM (if this is not possible, try to find some image content that makes it possible to see the outer edge of the image (an application window for example). Repeat step 6 to adjust the horizontal and vertical position until the whole image is visible on the projector. If a test pattern is not available, look at the image generator timing parameters: The horizontal and vertical position is normally equal to the Horizontal Back Porch (HBP) and Vertical Back Porch (VBP), respectively.
- During the previous step, part of the image may be clipped off, since the signal to the projector may also change during this step. It may be necessary to repeat step 6 and 11 several times to find horizontal and vertical positions that show the whole image.
- At this point, you should see the entire image with the best possible image quality through the UTM.
- Switch off the test pattern, and set the projector back to “Fill All” mode (if necessary). Proceed to geometry, edge, and color calibration.